Before digital marketing came along, there was direct mail. This classic approach offered a convenient way to contact customers directly. Since then, smartphones and the internet have revolutionized the industry, but some things never truly go out of style. So, whether you’re reading this on a smartphone, a tablet, or a computer, you may be wondering, is direct mail marketing dead? Let’s find out!
DIRECT MAIL IS TANGIBLE
Most people receive dozens, if not hundreds, of emails every day. They also see countless ads on social media. With that kind of volume, it’s easy to tune things out. Even the best offers and most creative emails can get lost in the shuffle. Plus, there’s always the possibility that they could end up in the spam folder, too.
On the other hand:
- Holding a letter or postcard makes the offer feel more concrete
- You get less mail than emails, so anything in your mailbox is more memorable
In short, including direct mail as part of your marketing campaign provides your customers with something tangible. As the audience opens a piece of mail, research shows they’re more likely to take some time to glance over the offer than they might be with an email.
DIRECT MAIL TAKES PERSONALIZATION TO A WHOLE NEW LEVEL
Marketing is all about communicating a message and connecting with people. That goes for both leads and existing customers. One of the best ways to form a connection with someone is to make it feel like you’re talking directly to them. Some of the ways you can personalize your direct mailing materials include:
- Personally addressing all direct mail to the recipient
- Including reply envelopes with the return address already filled in
- Sending dimensional mailers with unique items or offers
- Offering an invitation to join a mailing list or rewards program
- Including QR codes to personalized offers
DIRECT MAIL IS THE KING OF BRAND AWARENESS
Direct mail also gives you an easy way to build your brand. By making more people aware of who you are and what you can do for them, it’s a smart way to increase awareness.
Plus, with so much emphasis on digital media, there’s less direct mail going out now than ever. That allows you to stand out from the crowd and be certain that your message is going to get through to more people and face less competition along with it. Combine it with that tangibility, and any mail you send out has a better chance of sticking in someone’s mind, too.
DIRECT MAIL WILL COMPLEMENT YOUR DIGITAL STRATEGY
Direct mail may play a key role in reaching specific customers offline, but both methods are highly effective. For example, direct mailing is a great way to bolster your digital approach. Some of the ways a strong direct mailing campaign can benefit your digital strategy include:
- Making the right first impression with your targeted audience
- Giving your audience a chance to sign up to receive additional materials
- Getting your customers’ consent to receive marketing emails
In many ways, direct mail and digital are two sides of the same coin. The two don’t have to exist outside of each other. In fact, they shouldn’t. The right direct mailing campaign can lay the groundwork for your digital strategy. Over time, the two should complement each other.
DIRECT MAIL IS OPEN TO ALL AUDIENCES
Direct mail is also more accessible than email marketing and social media. While it can seem like everyone is on social media, that’s not always the case. Sending your offers through the mail lets you reach people who may:
- Not be as tech-savvy
- Have limited internet access
- Don’t check their email that often
- Aren’t active on social media
Additionally, not every area has the same broadband capabilities. Direct mail lets you reach people who don’t have access to technology. Using direct mail lets more people see your materials and allows you to keep your offers open to everyone.
How Direct Mail Marketing Can Work for You
While direct mail is timeless, the tools it utilizes have evolved. What was once a simple postcard with a sale stamped on it can now include user-friendly technology that can help customers learn more. Some of the interactive tools you can use to get the best response rates include:
- QR codes – With just a quick scan of their smartphone, a recipient can be taken directly to your website, microsite, or offer.
- PURLs – Likewise, personalized URLs (PURLs) make it easy to guide someone to the page that you want them to see. Plus, they’re personalized, which makes them feel more genuine.
- Sensory experiences – To make sure your mail sticks in someone’s mind, have fun with it. Use bright colors that stand out. Consider using materials that have a distinct texture or smell. It’ll instantly get someone’s attention and they won’t soon forget it, either.
- Reply cards – Some tools are here to stay. Including a reply card is one of the most tried-and-true ways to get someone involved. Try including a return address and their name on the card or envelope to make it feel more personal, too.
Each of these tools is a great way to turn leads into customers and to keep existing customers coming back again and again. They’re also a fantastic example of how technology didn’t kill direct mail marketing. If anything, it improved direct mail by opening up new possibilities.
BUILDING YOUR DIRECT MAIL CAMPAIGN
It’s clear that direct mail marketing isn’t dead. So, how can you implement a direct mail marketing campaign as part of your business’s strategy? That’s where Aspen Automotive comes in.
With decades of experience in automotive direct mail marketing, we offer businesses like yours the opportunity to build a tangible personalized direct mail marketing campaign that’s sure to catch your customers’ attention.
Not only do we help you design 100% customizable direct mail, but we also produce it quickly right on site in our in-house production studio. With our team behind you, you’ll have the tools you need to complement your digital marketing campaign with tangible, personalized direct mail.
DIRECT MAIL MARKETING ISN’T DEAD: CREATE EFFECTIVE DIRECT MAIL WITH ASPEN AUTOMOTIVE
There’s no doubt that direct mail marketing is alive and well. Aspen Automotive can help you make the most of your direct mail marketing campaign. Our team is always excited to create eye-catching graphics, craft the perfect plan for your campaign, and collaborate on copy and specific offers. Plus, we’re always prepared to track your results with real-time analytics.
To learn more about how effective direct mail marketing can be, contact Aspen Automotive!